Sunday 25 April 2021

Can You Hear Their Footsteps?


 Can You Hear Their Footsteps?

I can hear them marching, Mummy..
right there in the street
there's Grandad and Uncle
and I see my Dad's big feet.
Left, right.. left, right..
Oh, they do look strong
Left, right, left, right 
That's Dad's favourite song.
Their uniforms are different
why are they not the same?
Weren't they all together..
I wonder who's to blame.
Oh, look, they're coming closer
I hope they do see me.
Mummy why are you crying?
Grandad says I'll soon be free.
I can hear their footsteps
They are very close to me
I'm off to join the soldiers
I'll be marching and be free. 

She laid her son to rest, beside their family - 
four brave soldiers, marching evermore.
© Crissouli 2021

4 comments:

  1. Oh Chris - that is such a very moving poem on this sombre day of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Chris. It made me teary

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be visible once approved. Thank you.